Founded in 1938, the National Federation of Republican Women is a grassroots political organization with thousands of active members in local clubs across the nation and in several U.S. territories, making it one of the largest and most influential women's political organizations in the country. We work to promote the principles, objectives and policies of the Republican Party; elect Republican candidates; inform the public through political education and activity; and, increase the effectiveness of women in the cause of good government.
Once an auxiliary of the Republican National Committee (RNC), the NFRW is now financially and organizationally independent today.
The NFRW uses its resources to:
Promote an informed public through political education and activity;
Increase the effectiveness of women in the cause of good government;
Facilitate cooperation among the National and state Federations of Republican women's clubs;
Foster loyalty to the Republican Party and promote its principles and candidates in all elections, including non-partisan elections; and,
Support Republican objectives and policies and work for the election of Republican nominees.
In working toward these objectives, the NFRW concentrates its efforts in the areas of educating, communicating, recruiting, campaigning, fundraising, training and legislative action.
A Republican woman becomes a member by joining her local club or through a national associate membership. Members of a local club also are granted membership in their state Federation. State Federations are chartered under the auspices of the NFRW but operate under their own bylaws. Although independent, state Federation bylaws must not conflict with the NFRW Bylaws.
The NFRW's national headquarters are located at:
124 N. Alfred Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314
E-mail: mail @nfrw.org
Web site: www.nfrw.org
The NFRW was founded at a conference held at Chicago's Palmer House in 1938. With the encouragement of Republican National Committee Chairman John D. M. Hamilton, it was organized under the direction of Marion E. Martin, then assistant chairman of the Republican National Committee and National Committeewoman for Maine.
The organization originally was known as the National Federation of Women's Republican Clubs of America (NFWRC), but the name was changed in January 1953 to the National Federation of Republican Women (NFRW). At the time of organization in 1938, local clubs totaling 95,000 members had applied for affiliation.